How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask financeguru2 Your Own Question
financeguru2, Financial Advisor
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 136
Experience:  Several years of experience in wealth management for high net worth individuals
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
financeguru2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi I have been offered a contract by a IT consultancy based

Customer Question

Hi I have been offered a contract by a IT consultancy based in the UK who have a contract in Switzerland. They will require me to fly to the client site in Switzerland for 3-4 days a week and 1 days in the UK at there offices. I am planning to use a Umbrella company from the UK
Would i need to get a work permit and pay taxes in Switzerland or UK?
Would it be best for me to use an Umbrella company from the UK or not?

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  financeguru2 replied 4 years ago.
Yes, you must obtain a work permit to work in Switzerland if your work there exceeds 90 days. Also, Switzerland requires that anyone working in the country for a period of more than 183 days per year pay tax in Switzerland. You will also pay tax in your resident country. Whether you use an umbrella company or not, you would be eligible to claim a credit for the taxes paid in Switzerland against your resident income tax in your home country, based on the tax treaty in effect at the time. Therefore, the most beneficial reason to use the umbrella company would be for legal liability protection.

I want this answer to be helpful to you, so please feel free to respond with any questions that I can clarify prior to rating this answer. If I have successfully answered your question, then please rate the answer at that time. Thank you!