UK Tax

UK Tax Questions? Ask a UK Tax Advisor for answers ASAP

UK Tax

We are a partnership. We create and sell (publish) a diary

and an advent calendar. We...
We are a partnership. We create and sell (publish) a diary and an advent calendar. We sell to UK shops, on amazon (just to UK) & do fayres etc. We have just filled in our 12/13 partnership tax return. Question 3 says. 'Did the partnership have any foreign income'. On this tax return we said no, as last year we didn't.

However, we are thinking of expanding our amazon sales to sell to Europe and America, but before we do this we want to know what the implications are. I don't understand what 'foreign income' means, on the example it says about having a foreign holiday home, but we will only be selling a few diaries. I've looked on gov.uk at, 'starting to export' and it seems to say that we need to start doing vat returns. we don't want to do a vat return, last year our net profit was £3886 and we didn't make enough to pay ourselves any money at all as a salary.

Can you enlighten us about what we would be getting ourselves into by selling a few diaries and advent calendars on-line to foreign customers.
8/28/2013
taxadvisor.uk
taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant

Hello, if you have any questions or need further clarification after reading my answer please let me know.

Thank you for your question...

Selling diaries and advent calendars online to foreign based customers will not constitute having foreign income as implied in Question 3 of partnership return. You need not worry about that.

Foreign income includes investment income, bank interest, earnings, rental income etc from abroad.

If your turnover remains below the VAT Registration threshold then you do not have to register for VAT.

VAT registration is required where taxable supplies exceed £79,000 for the previous 12 months or are expected to do so within the next 30 days.

If you need more information please let me know before you rate my service.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need to ensure I get paid for it.

I am available for any follow up questions you may have, and you can use the reply button to post your follow up questions to the page.

taxadvisor.uk

If we sold some diaries to American shops, would that money be classed as foreign income on the partnership tax return?

Christine, thank you for your question...

Any sales to an overseas country would be classified as export sales but still within your UK business income.

Foreign income does not mean income received from sale of goods to foreign customers/countries.

I hope this is helpful.

taxadvisor.uk
taxadvisor.uk