How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxVince Your Own Question
TaxVince, Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 965
Experience:  Chartered Accountant >20 years + Qualified IFA
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
TaxVince is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I wish to set up a and register a charity in the U.K. What

This answer was rated:

I wish to set up a and register a charity in the U.K. What are the steps I need to follow. I want to register the charity myself without the help of a accountant.

MamaTax :


Its MamaTax Here!

MamaTax :

The main areas are:

1. to register your Charity with Charity Commission

2. And then register it with HMRC. Charities should apply to HMRC to be recognised as a charity for tax purposes – this allows you to pay less tax and claim gift aid on donations.

Charity Commission steps are clearly provided on their website link HERE.

Registering on HMRC website- follow this links for steps -HERE

However before you get to the steps above its worthy understanding whether what you are providing qualifies as a charity. The following links could assist you:

1. Find out if registering as a charity is the right thing to do by reading about charities HERE and what counts as a charitable cause.

2. Follow the Charity Commission’s guidance on registering a charity to make sure your application has the best chance of being accepted.

3. Read the charities and public benefit guidance.

Hope this helps.

TaxVince and 2 other UK Tax Specialists are ready to help you