How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tony Tax Your Own Question
Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15901
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
Tony Tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello,I was an employee of a UK company in 2006 and in

Customer Question


I was an employee of a UK company in 2006 and in 2007. I was only in the company for < 3 months each year. I had already claimed my tax refund for 2006 but lost the cheque. And I would like to claim my tax refund for 2007. I was told that I may have missed the deadlines for these. I am a US resident now and was unable to do claim these refunds due to a host of medical issues. Would you be able to assist in this in any way? I would like to get back the money owed to me.

Thanks in advance.

Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  Tony Tax replied 3 years ago.

The experts on this site have no connection with HMRC so we are unable to make representations to them on your behalf. So, if this answer doesn't give you what you need, I'd prefer if you didn't rate it as a poor or bad answer and just leave it. There is no obligation on you to accept my answer but I don't want an answer which will be technically correct unfairly rated.

Assuming you were not in the self-assessment system which required you to complete tax returns when you worked in the UK which I very much doubt, I'm afraid that you are out of date to make a claim for repayment of tax deducted through PAYE for the tax years you worked in the UK. Take a look here for the time limits.

You are out of time but if you don't do something, you know that htere will be no repayment to you. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. So, the only thing I can suggest you do is that you make a written claim for overpayment relief following the procedure here and explain what happened in your case, ie you lost the first repayment payable order and health issues prevented you from dealing with your UK tax situation, and appeal to the better nature of HMRC. You can send your claim to the address at the bottom of the page here.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Related UK Tax Questions