How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tony Tax Your Own Question
Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15901
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
Tony Tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 83 years old. As well as my state pension I have two

This answer was rated:

I am 83 years old. As well as my state pension I have two personal pensions totalling just over £9000 p.a.(taxed at source). My wife and I also own a rental property and my half share is approx. £1200 p.a.
Can you please advise as to entitlement to married couples allowance as well as personal allowance which can be deducted from my income for tax purposes

Can you tell me how much your state pension is and how much your wife's total annual income is please. Were you both born before 6 April 1935?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My query arose from the 2010/2011 Tax year when my pension was £6245 p.a. My wife's total income in that year was £5648.



Leave this with me while I draft my answer.

Hi again.

Provided you or your wife were born before 6 April 1935, you were entitled to the married couples' allowance for 2010/11 of £6,965 as you will see from the table here. The allowance will save you £696.50 in tax as tax relief is given at 10%. It's not a straight deduction from your income like the personal allowance. You can see how the married couples' allowance works here. The basic personal allowance for you in 2010/11 was £9,640 so the first £9,640 of your income in that year would be tax free.

The personal and married couples' allowances for 2011/12 to 2013/14 are here.


Please note that where your income is above a certain level for a tax year, you lose some or all of the age allowances and some of the married couples' allowance.


I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Tony Tax and other UK Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Icant see an ACCEPT button !

You seem to have found it now. Thanks for accepting my answer.

You should call the tax office on the number here to make sure your 2013/14 tax code has the married couples' allowance in it.

Related UK Tax Questions