UK Tax

UK Tax Questions? Ask a UK Tax Advisor for answers ASAP

UK Tax

CT600 entries issues The company has no income this as

CT600 entries issues The company...
CT600 entries issues

The company has no income this as I have been employed. My accounts balance sheet tangible assets are £343 at year end 31/8/12 and £228 for 31/8/11. The assets are being written down on a reducing basis using 25% each year. My first year accounts were prepared by an accountant and the net book year end value carried forward in balance sheet and depreciation deducted for each year since then from the b/f value

Box AC132 gives the value as £186 and the previous year as £51 compared to bal sheet

The tangible assets page is
AC124 1/9/11 228
AC125 Additions 229
AC127 Total 457

depreciation entries are
AC128 totai to 1/9/11 177 (all deprn since co started in 08/09)
AC129 Charge for 11-12 114
Total since purchases 291

AC132 Net BV 31/8/12 166
AC133 Net BV 31/8/11 51

I have entered administrative expenses under p&l page including depreciation as my understanding is that depreciation is added back in the computation page and allowance claimed at 20% but can not get that far as error message over the AC132 and 133 not equating to balance sheet assets

AC26 and AC27 Op profit -207 -259

The maths in one sense adds up but why is there a difference between my financial acct asset values v corpn tax return values? Have I
misunderstood the process?
8/23/2013
taxadvisor.uk
taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant

Hello, if you have any questions or need further clarification after reading my answer please let me know.

Thank you for your question.

Please leave it with me and I will revert shortly.

Many thanks

Jim, please advise category for fixed assets

Many thanks

These are under tangible - office equipment

Jim, thank you for your reply.

You state "The maths in one sense adds up but why is there a difference between my financial acct asset values v corpn tax return values? Have I misunderstood the process?"

The reason why the two values may be different is..

In financial accounts we should NBV of tangible assets after adjusting for accumulated depreciation at rates per accounting policy.. In your case, you are depreciating your office equipment at 20% on reducing balance basis.

In tax accounts, depreciation is added back and you get capital allowance instead. The writing down allowance may or may not be the same as the depreciation rate in the financial accounts. Furthermore, you can claim FYA of 100% and or annual investment allowance (100%) in tax accounts where as you would be using 20% in financial accounts.

If you need more information please let me know before you rate my service.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question. If you are happy and there are no more issues I will appreciate if you would kindly rate the service I provided to ensure I get paid for it.

I am available for any follow up questions you may have, and you can use the reply button to post your follow up questions to the page.

Jim, you have also stated

"I have entered administrative expenses under p&l page including depreciation as my understanding is that depreciation is added back in the computation page and allowance claimed at 20% but can not get that far as error message over the AC132 and 133 not equating to balance sheet assets "

Have you put a cross under tangible assets and office equipment on Statutory Accounts Notes menu.. once you have done that

then input your figures into the Office equipment category of Tangible assets Office equipment .. these will automatically roll into Tangible assets Total page.

I have sent a reply in response to your answer and thought I pressed reply to expert button but I can not see an entry for the reply as the status at the top says 'we're waiting for you'. Was the reply received?

Jim, I received one reply to say Tangible assets are office equipment

Many thanks

Sorry I must have omitted to press reply on second reply. Following up your answer, I have been writing down the value of assets each year using the reduced balance and charging 25% depreciation on that balance in financial accts. Hence year end asset bal will be 25% less e,g, if start bal was £304 deprn is £76 and year end bal in accts is £228.

I mentioned 20% as my understanding is that is the figure that has to be used for corpn tax for writing down allowances re my type of assets.

I still do not see why the CT 600 and fin accts asset values are different. The corpn tax figures seem to be out from balance sheet because i have entered a figure in box Ac128 for cumulative depreciation.

Jim, thank you for your reply.

Corporation tax figures may be out of balance sheet, but if you or your accountant claimed FYA for capital allowance that was different from depreciation shown in financial accounts then the written down values would be different. You can check this when you compare -

Box AC133 - Net book value previous year with Box CP92 - Written down value carried forward from your last year CT600 return. Please look at Capital allowances/balancing charges within Computations section of CT600.

Thanks but that still does not account for the difference. for last year 10_11 I was not required to submit a corp tax return as I had been employed not revenue was earned by the Company. In addition, I had a unexpected blood clot at the time of needing to fill in the CT form but the tax office approved that I need not send in a form.

So the last CT600 is for 09/10. The capital allows page entries are

CP54 total £101 as depreciation charge added back

CP78 asset value b/f £405 (from prev fin accts)

CP89 W Down Allow £ 81 (20% as that was my understanding)

CP92 asset value £324 (fin acct bal asset value £304 for the year end - difference of £20)

So if I have to estimate 10/11 corpn tax entries as no return- would those be

CP78 asset value b/f £324 (£304 from prev fin accts)

CP89 W Down Allow £ 65 (20%)

CP92 asset value £259 (fin acct bal asset value £228 for the year end - difference of £31)

If that applied to 11-12 the difference would have been

CP78 asset value b/f £259 (£228 from prev fin accts)
CP82 Additions £229 (new total 488)
CP89 W Down Allow £ 98 (20% of new and c/f asset value)
CP92 asset value £390 (fin acct bal asset value £343 for the year end - difference of £47)

Is that how I should have calculated CT values?

Jim, thank you for your reply...

You say you did not file a CT600 for 2010-11 for reasons stated. The company was not trading and technically dormant.

If I were you I would input for 2011-12 figures as follows:

CP78 - £324 (balance b/f from 2009-10)

CP83 (AIA) - £229

CP88 - £229

CP89 - £65 (20% of CP78)

CP186 - (229+65) £294

CP92 - £259.

This figure will not agree with NBV per financial accounts because of difference in depreciation rate and WDA.

Thanks hopefully we are getting there but I can not access the computation pages as it will not let me go past an error now appearing on AC128 retained profit which CT 600 shows as £332 compared to fin accts £317. I have tried saving by clicking on the page and the next button but I can not access next pages including computation (stragely enough but probably a coincidence the difference between deprcn and WDA for 10_11 yr was £15.

Any suggestions how to overcome that

Jim, thank you for your reply..

I am confused..."it will not let me go past an error now appearing on AC128 retained profit which CT 600 shows as £332 compared to fin accts £317"

Box AC128 relates to Depreciation opening balance and not retained profit...

Please expand on this.

Many thanks.

Sorry I shall have said AC218 which is retained profit

Jim, please advise what you have input in these boxes

PROFIT AND LOSSBox No.This yearBox No.Last year
profit or (loss) for current year after taxac360ac370
dividends for the periodac380ac390
net balances transferred to reservesac400ac410
STATUTORY ACCOUNTS NOTESBox No.This yearBox No.Last year
profit and loss - opening balanceac1840ac2150
profit for the periodac1850ac2160
equity dividends paidac1860ac2170
retained profitac1870ac2180

Box AC215 should be closing balance end 2009-10.

As you did not trade in 2010-11 I presume both AC215 and AC218 would read the same figure.

Many thanks

I had been using the figures from my fin accts for 2010-11 as the co accts were produced even though no tax return was required. This may be where I have gone wrong as the figures in CT600 were based on the fin accts.

The figures currently in CT600 are given below with notes

PROFIT AND LOSS Box No. This year Box No. Last year
profit or (loss) for current year after tax ac36 0 ac37 -259
dividends for the period ac38 0 ac39 0
net balances transferred to reserves ac40 - 207 ac41 -259

STATUTORY ACCOUNTS NOTES Box No. This year Box No. Last year
profit and loss - opening balance ac184 332 ac215 591**
profit for the period ac185 -207 ac216 -259
equity dividends paid ac186 0 ac217 0
retained profit ac187 125 ac218 332 error msg

Box AC215 should be closing balance end 2009-10. £591 was the retained profit in fin accts

As you did not trade in 2010-11 I presume both AC215 and AC218 would read the same figure. - There were still expenses incurred such as Co hse return,domain name/webhosting renewa, bank acct fee as I do not want to lose those and have to restart again when jhopefully back earning revenue for this company.

Jim, thank you for your reply...

"As you did not trade in 2010-11 I presume both AC215 and AC218 would read the same figure. - There were still expenses incurred such as Co hse return,domain name/webhosting renewa, bank acct fee as I do not want to lose those and have to restart again when jhopefully back earning revenue for this company."

You have sent some numbers for this year and last year. For last year your expenses were £259 giving you a loss of £259 in Box AC27, AC33, AC37 and AC41.

This loss has reduced your retained profit to £332 at the end of year 2010-11.

In this year there is a further loss of £207 reducing your retained earnings to £125 at the end of 2011-12.

For me to better understand your figures and move forward, please complete missing boxes here

PROFIT AND LOSS

Box No.

This year

Box No.

Last year

turnover

AC12

0

AC13

0

cost of sales

AC14

0

AC15

0

gross profit

AC16

0

AC17

0

distribution costs

AC18

0

AC19

0

administrative expenses

AC20

207

AC21

259

other operatiing income

AC22

0

AC23

0

operating profit or (loss)

AC26

-207

AC27

-259

interest receivable

AC28

0

AC29

0

interest payable

AC30

0

AC31

0

profit or (loss) on ordinary activities before taxation

AC32

-207

AC33

-259

tax on profit or loss on ordinary activities

AC34

0

AC35

0

profit or (loss) for the financial year

AC36

-207

AC37

-259

dividends for the period

AC38

0

AC39

0

net balance for the financial period transferred to reserves

AC40

-207

AC41

-259

BALANCE SHEETBox No.This yearBox No.Last year
intangible assetsAC420AC430
tangible assetsAC44343AC45228
TOTAL FIXED ASSETSAC48343AC49228
stocksAC500AC510
debtorsAC520AC530
cash at bank and in handAC540AC550
TOTAL CURRENT ASSETSAC560AC570
creditors due within one yearAC580AC590
NET CURRENT ASSETSAC600AC610
TOTAL ASSETS LESS CURRENT LIABILITIESAC62343AC63228
creditors due after more than one yearAC640AC650
provision for liabilitiesAC660AC670
TOTAL NET ASSETSAC68343AC69228
CAPITAL AND RESERVESBox No.This yearBox No.Last year
called up share capitalAC700AC710
revaluation reserveAC760AC770
profit and loss accountAC74125AC75332
TOTAL SHAREHOLDERS FUNDSAC80125AC81332
Differencexxxx218xxxx-104

PROFIT AND LOSS

Box No.

This year

Box No.

Last year

profit or (loss) for current year after tax

ac36

-207

ac37

-259

dividends for the period

ac38

0

ac39

0

net balances transferred to reserves

ac40

-207

ac41

-259

STATUTORY ACCOUNTS NOTES

Box No.

This year

Box No.

Last year

profit and loss - opening balance

ac184

332

ac215

591

profit for the period

ac185

-207

ac216

-259

equity dividends paid

ac186

0

ac217

0

retained profit

ac187

125

ac218

332

Many thanks

I realise that you are reviewing the response and will have other demands on your time. Just to say I need to step back and take a break as I am getting befuddled now with 09-10 figures as the carry forward for CT 600 in 11-12 due to reasons given. So if ok with you I shall return hopefully fresher to the figures on Tuesday as meanwhile I will look over what we have said to date to see if any light dawns on me

Jim, thank you for your reply..

Please come back when you are ready..

Enjoy your weekend.

I have reviewed where we got to and also the figures and my understanding. A key question that I need to get straight is the values to be entered under asset value on the balance sheet AC 44 and AC 45

Are those the fixed asset values at year end from the financial accts or from the c/f figure from the Corpn tax values i.e when the WDA rate has been taken off rather than depreciation as in the accounts.

As an example to illustrate.

Example A - the asset values for 2011-12 and 2010-11 are respectively £343 and £228 (after depreciation at 25% on reducing balance including additions in 2011-12.

Example B - In contrast if the corpn tax asset values have to be entered those would be £397 and £262. I have used a hybrid percentage of 19.16% to take account of the WDA rate dropping to 18% from April 12 and 20% for 2010-11

Which values should be entered A or B?

I have also discovered an error in the accounts (my error). Last year when I misunderstood drprcn v WDA treatment, my loss was - £259 but I added back depreciation at 25% (£76) and deducted the WDA at 20% (£61) in my P&L to give losses of -£274 - a difference of £15

I then deducted the loss of £274 from my retain profit b/f so the balance was £317 (591- 274) and carried forward £317 to my balance sheet for11-12. That should have been £332 as I now believe that I should not have made the adjustment of £15 by adding back depreciation and deducting WDA in my P&L to arrive at my profit figure.

I hope this adds some more light.

Jim, thank you for your reply..

The values in Boxes AC44 and AC45 are values from Financial accounts- example A.

Hello, you will be relieved to know that I have now cleared the error messages and have been able to complete the whole return and submit it but not without a battle over £1 difference between two parts of the form but managed to resolve at the end.

Thanks for your pointers which helped me to realise where I had misunderstood the process/principles

Please if practicable ask for the receipt/bill for my payment to be made out to HR Management Dimensions Ltd

Thank you

Jim, thank you for your reply.

I am pelased you manage to address all error messages.

I am an expert helping customers like you and don't get involved in the admin side of JustAnswer.

Please contact JustAnswer Customer Services if your wish to have a receipt made payable to HR Management Dimensions Ltd.

If I can be of further assistance, you can always direct your question here with a request that I answer it.

If you are happy and there are no more issues I will appreciate if you would kindly rate the service I provided to ensure I get paid for it.

Best wishes

taxadvisor.uk

Jim, thank you for accepting my answer.

I will appreciate if you would let me know where I could have given you a better service. I identified your errors and gave you pointers.

You have considered my service to be just OK.

Many thanks

It was really when I asked several questions in one reply often only one was answered which meant that I had to either restate it again. The lesson perhaps for me is to keep the replies to one question.

Jim, thank you.

Hello, I am not sure whether I have understood your last message in which you posed two questions

ii) have I remembered to rate the answer which I did as we corresponded on the rating and

i) whether I have more questions to ask. Does this mean that a) I can ask more questions which will be covered by the original fee I paid afor the original question or b) further questions can be asked for which a quote of the cost will be given.

Jim, thank you for your reply.

We have done with your original question.

You can ask more questions and option b) would apply, i.e. a quote of the cost will be given by Customer Service for each new question.

Many thanks

taxadvisor.uk
taxadvisor.uk