How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 13942
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I left the UK for the UAE 02/01/2011. I have been a non-uk

This answer was rated:

I left the UK for the UAE 02/01/2011. I have been a non-uk resident for 2 complete tax years. I am considering returning to the UK mid tax year 31/12/13. Upon becoming a Uk resident mid tax year will my overseas income from tax year 12/13 up to that point subject to UK income tax? Or would I qualify for split year treatment?



Thanks for your question


The income you have earned from being non resident from 02/01/2011 to the date you return (31/12/2013) will ALL be exempt from UK tax, so yes, you will qualify for split year treatment for the tax year 2013/2014, and only have a UK tax liability from 01/01/2014 on income that arises on or after that date.




Sam and other UK Tax Specialists are ready to help you