How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4973
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your UK Tax Question Here... is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to ask about capital gains. When I sell my backpackers

This answer was rated:

I would like to ask about capital gains.
When I sell my backpackers hostel and purchase a farm to run B&B, caravan/camping site and DIY livery stables would I have to pay any capital gains on the sale of the hostel?
Michael W Fletcher

Hello, if you have any questions or need further clarification after reading my answer please let me know.


Thank you for your question.


Based on information provided, you appear to be trading. You can claim business asset rollover relief. This lets you defer any capital gains tax due on the sale of hostel if you acquire another asset for your trade. The relief allows you to postpone paying tax until you dispose of those new assets. New assets have to cost the same as, or more than, the amount you got when you disposed of the old assets for full relief otherwise you may get partial relief.


You must acquire the new assets, or enter into an unconditional contract for the acquisition of the new assets, in the 12 months before, and 36 months after the disposal of the old assets.


More information on this can be found here - HMRC helpsheet 290


If you need more information please let me know before you rate my service.


I hope this is helpful and answers your question. If you are happy and there are no more issues I will appreciate if you would kindly rate the service I provided to ensure I get paid for it.


I am available for any follow up questions you may have, and you can use the reply button to post your follow up questions to the page. and other UK Tax Specialists are ready to help you