TaxVince
TaxVince, Accountant
Experience:  Chartered Accountant >20 years + Qualified IFA
68927923

MY friends tax credits have been stopped. He has 2 kids and

MY friends tax credits have been stopped. He has 2 kids and had filled and sent his forms in time. His forms were sent by registered post on 31 July 2013. Now his payments have been stopped and he has been asked to repay £1,000 in overpayments. The circumstances of my friend has not changed and he is very stressed. What are the options available and how long will the process take?

MamaTax :

Hi

Its MamaTax Here!

MamaTax :

Thanks for asking the question.

Well - there a thousand of reasons why the tax credits have been stopped and unless one knows why its only guesswork. The first thing to do for you friend to check with the bank and see if there was any problem at the bank/ or change of account details etc. The Tax Credit Office won't be able to help him if he hasnt spoken to the bank first.

If the bank can't find the payment, then the next thing is to contact the Tax Credit Office by calling the Tax Credit Helpline here: 0345(NNN) NNN-NNNN They will check if they have made the payment and that they have the right account details for him. If they haven't paid you, they'll tell you why and sort it out as soon as possible. See link HERE for a number of possible explanations.

But the first follow the steps above and they find out why the credit hasnt been made.

Hope this helps.

Customer:

The HMRC have told my friend that they did not receive the forms that my friend

Customer:

had sent. They said due to that they have cancelled/stopped the claim. My friend had sent the forms. Can he appeal? what are his options?

Customer:

Is it my friends fault that the HMRC did not receive the forms?

MamaTax :

Ok thanks. If the forms were not submitted on time then the tax office will stop payments and wll ask him to pay back any overpayment from the previous tax year. If he submitted them on time and can support that Or even if he missed the deadline by mistake he can put in an appeal using the WTC/AP form and it will be looked at by a tribunal. He must fill in the appeal form within a month of being told about the overpayments, so he must act quickly.

Whether it's an appeal or a dispute, he should give all information he can like any evidence, why he doesnt think he should repay etc. If that's not successful he can still have the opportunity to make a complaint, go to the adjudicator or even the Parliamentary Ombudsman. An in the worse case scenario approach the local MP.

MamaTax :

Hope this helps.

MamaTax :

If you have no further comments please rate the question before you go.