How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 13943
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When a person dies, what reporting requirements are there with

This answer was rated:

When a person dies, what reporting requirements are there with HMRC. There is a 2013 tax return outstanding and my relative died last month.



Thanks for your question

First you will need to send in the P45 (if there was employment/pension or any income being paid under PAYE) with a covering letter, which will allow HMRC to mark up heir records and also issue the paperwork needed fro the period 06/04/2013 to date of death.

If there was no PAYE employment, then just write a letter advising HMRC.


Also the 2013 return will need completing and all of these forms should be completed by the next of kin/personal representative, so that the 2013 tax position can be established, and any refund that might be due (or taxed owed) for the year of death.

This would be spouse first and foremost, but also let any involved solicitor be aware, as any refund/tax owed needs to be dealt with through the estate.





Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Sam. My relative was retired and only in receipt of pensions / dividend income. will HMRC need a return for 2013-14 up to the date of death?



Thanks for your response


They may well do, but they will let you know whether they need a self assessment return or just a R27 (usual form completed for part tax year due to death)


But the 2013 self assessment will still need to be completed




Sam and other UK Tax Specialists are ready to help you