How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tony Tax Your Own Question
Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15916
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
Tony Tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are having to sell my mothers home to pay for her residential

This answer was rated:

We are having to sell my mother's home to pay for her residential care costs. Will she have to pay taxes on the monies we receive from the sale?


So long as the property has been your mother's main home for the entire period that she has owned it and it is sold within three years of her moving into residential care, then she will not have to pay Capital Gains Tax. Take a look at the HMRC helpsheet HS283 for more information.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Tony Tax and other UK Tax Specialists are ready to help you