How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 13862
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dear XXXXX I have a client who has sold equipment for £500.

This answer was rated:


I have a client who has sold equipment for £500. Do I simply deduct this from the fixed asset register or do I need to find out the cost and calculate the profit /loss on the disposal to be entered in the P& L account?

Thank you


Hi Steve



Thanks for your question and asking for me


No you need to establish the full value position - so either this equipment has been subject to annual investment allowance - (so 100% relief claimed on its value in the year of acquisition) OR capital allowances were applied (such as in a general pool)

But you need to know

1) What the purchase price was

2) How much capital allowances are claimed

3) To establish the value still to carried forward from the last full tax year end

4) To see whether you have a further capital allowance to claim or a balancing charge to add back into the profits.







Sam and 2 other UK Tax Specialists are ready to help you