How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 13858
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I think I am paying the wrong tax code it is BR? I only work

Customer Question

I think I am paying the wrong tax code it is BR? I only work one job and have no pensions as an income at the moment?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 4 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


As this is your only income I would expect your tax code to be 944L. so can I ask

1) When did you start this employment

2) Did you give them a P45 (which details your last employment or details if you claimed Jobseekers or another benefit)

3) If you did no give this employer a P45, did they offer you form P46?


I can then advise how to take this forward





Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did have a p45 and handed it to my new employer when i started. I have been employed with my current employer since Jan 2012.

Expert:  Sam replied 4 years ago.



Thanks for your question


That's odd, as you have either been on BR since Jan 2012. or your employer has received notification to change your tax code to BR. Either way, you will need to ring HMRC on 0300 200 3300 as this is the quickest solution and although the opening times are

8.00 am to 8.00 pm, Monday to Friday
8.00 am to 4.00 pm Saturday
I would suggest you try ringing as soon after 8am as possible, and as near to closing time, with a more successful chance of getting through to an officer (and quickly!)


If you have been issued a P2 notice of coding detailing this change of code to BR, then this would have contained an explanation as to why your tax code had changed, but somewhere along the line, HMRC think this is not your main employment, and there could be a number of reasons for this mistake but the key is get it put right as soon as possible.


If you have been on code BR since Jan 2012 (which I doubt that as that's over a year ago) then earlier tax year refunds will be due.


But ring HMRC as soon as possible as this is clearly wrong, and you do not want to suffer any longer than necessary!


If you have any follow up questions, please do ask, but if in the meantime you could rate the level of service I have provided, it would be appreciated, as this ensures Just Answer pay me.