UK Tax

UK Tax Questions? Ask a UK Tax Advisor for answers ASAP

UK Tax

An atypical situation for you... I am British and

Customer Question
 An atypical situation for you.....

An atypical situation for you... I am British and have been resident in France for a long long time. Built up a successful activity as English Language Trainer to the French pharmaceutical industry. One Paris-based technical training institute gives me work, and I go all over French-speaking Europe for them, doing about 50 days per year, classed as consultancy. I was an "autoentrepreneur" (French sole trader), but went way above their threshold of 32,000 euros, so I backed out, as a proper French company is not what I want (already done it, very heavy structure). I now wish to settle in England, and travel to France to do the work. I rent a flat in France for this, and have a car over there to get to stations and local clients. I would prefer not to be VAT-registered as I will never reach £79,000. I have one "client" (as mentioned above), with whom I have a fine ongoing relationship. I am the exclusive provider of the language service they sell, so the future with them is guaranteed. I am 63 but enjoy working and have no wish to retire. Question: is this a feasible situation for a sole trader? Could I deduct as expenses the cost of travel to France, rent and car over there? How do I transfer from French social security to NHS (I have an NHS number)? I would like to do this change-over this summer. Thanks for your help, Steve

Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: UK Tax
7/17/2013
UK Tax Professional: Lindie-mod,
 replied 4 years ago
Lindie-mod

I'm Lindie, and I’m a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online.

If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.

Best,

Lindie

UK Tax Professional: Sam, Accountant replied 4 years ago
Sam, Accountant

You have requested me to answer this question, and I am familiar with UK tax but not French tax, so I shall opt out and let another expert help you

Thanks

UK Tax Professional: Rachel-Mod, Moderator replied 4 years ago
Rachel-Mod
Rachel-Mod, Moderator

I’m Rachel, and I’m moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from another one of the professionals?

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Taxes, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,

Rachel

I have not looked for the answer from anyone else as I was expecting it from one of your experts, and I have paid for the answer.

I assume that if you are unable to assist me, the £33 will be paid back.

Regards,

SMcI

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,

Rachel

UK Tax Professional: Lindie-mod,
 replied 4 years ago

Hello again, :)

We are still working with the professionals to find you the best possible match. I wanted to touch base to see if you still needed a professional’s assistance.

Please let me know if you would like to continue to wait or if you would like to cancel your question at this time. We sincerely XXXXX XXXXX the extended wait time.

Thank you,

Lindie

It seems to me as if you are having great difficulty dealing with my case. I did not realise you were based in the USA when I asked the question. I would prefer to cancel the uestion and seek advice nearer home.

Please advise on the procedure for cancellation before any answer has been given.

Regards,

SMcI

Sam, Accountant