How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 13869
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A U.S. Company wants to employ a man living in the U.K. to

This answer was rated:

A U.S. Company wants to employ a man living in the U.K. to represent them in the U.K. They want to pay all UK taxes due.

What would I need to do as a bookkeeper doing payroll?

Also do they need to comply with H&S, Holiday and other British regulations?



Thanks for your question

We can advise on the tax side of matters, but the rest falls under employment law so is not with accountancy/HMRC remit. Would you still like to proceed?





Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Sam


Yes I would still like to proceed.



Hi Veronica


Thanks for the response


You will need to contact HMRC Employers team to set up a direct payment scheme, which will allow this individuals salary to be paid through PAYE (also now RTI - Real Time information) so the tax and National Insurance are deducted appropriately.


The contact details are


And the employers name and address will be the same as the employee himself, as in essence he becomes a branch within the UK for the USA company.

Then you just operate PAYE as normal, and as a UK individual they certainly would have to meet UK employment law requirements


I have also added a link for the holiday pay position

Holiday entitlement


But as for the rest, there is an employment law forum within Just Answer, so do post a further question there and they will be able to assist you.


If you have any follow up questions regarding the tax side of matters, then please do ask, and if in the meantime, I could trouble you to rate the level of service I have provided, it would be appreciated, as this ensures Just Answer pay me !





Sam and other UK Tax Specialists are ready to help you