How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 13943
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I am currently residing in UK on a Work Permit

This answer was rated:


I am currently residing in UK on a Work Permit Visa. I have been working in UK since October,2012. From October 2012 to March 2013, I have got a total income of 9687 GBP and 1125 GBP has been deducted has tax by my employer. I have the following set of questions :

1. I had not sent form P46 to my employer and Hence I have not got a UTR assigned to me by HMRC. What is the process to get UTR number from HMRC directly in such case.

2. I have recieved P60 form from my employer. P60 form has a Tax Code 810LM1 assigned. Can you please tell me if I am eligible to get refund from HMRC. If Yes, what is the process to do so.

3. I am returning back to India at end of July,2013. Am I eligible for refund of Tax paid from April,2013 to July,2013. During this period, my income has not exceeded 8000 GBP. If Yes, what is the process to get Tax refund and is there any legal obligations to complete before I leave UK end of this month. Is Submission of P85 form applicable to me ?

Answers to the above questions would help me a lot.




Thanks for your questions

1) Unless you need to complete self assessment tax returns then you will not need a UTR, but just will have tax records under the Employers reference number and within that reference number, your National Insurance number. And if this employment income is your only income and you have no income abroad, then you need take no further action regarding this matter.

2) Initially the fact you had been allocated Month 1 (810L) tax code, does mean a tax refund would be reviewed for, however as you have not spent more than 183 days in the UK you will not be due a tax refund, and as you did not plan to stay more than 2 full tax years, are going to be treated as not resident/not ordinarily resident, so are not due full personal allowances for the year, so the tax you have paid is correct.

3) No as again you will not have spent more than 183 days in the UK, so are not due personal allowances for the whole year, so the tax you will have paid at July 2013, will be correct. You should complete the P85 for HMRC on leaving, so they are aware that you have departed the UK.


I am sorry the news is not better, but you have to be treated as resident from the date of arrival, and your sty here is such a short one, that you are not eligible for the full allowances, only those for the time you are actually in the UK.


Please feel free to ask any follow up questions, but if you could rate the level of service I have provided, it would be appreciated, as this ensures I am paid.







Sam and other UK Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Sam for the quick reply.


Little disappointed that I will not be getting the tax refund as the Income tax calculator sent by my Employer said that I am eligible for a refund of about 800 pounds. Anyhow, this is as per the rules here in UK and I respect that. I take that I am not eligible for any tax return. However, if there is possibility. Please advice. Your answer was clear and precise. Thanks again :)


Thanks for your response

If you had been UK resident for the full tax years (both from 06/04/2012 to 05/04/2013 and 06/04/2013 to 05/04/2014, then you would be due a tax refund on the basis that you had unused tax free allowances BUT you did not arrive in the UK until Oct 2012 and will leave again in July 2013, which is not even the one full tax year let alone the two needed, so you are treated as resident/not ordinarily resident, so cannot be awarded full years allowances for a part year, and this applies for both periods (which span over the two tax years)

So the main position is that you cannot benefit from a position for residents/ordinarily resident of the UK.

I am sorry the news is not better