Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

My job has moved 170 miles, so I have to live away from home

Customer Question

My job has moved 170 miles, so I have to live away from home for four nights per week.
The area relocated too is perhaps the most expensive outside London, making it financially impossible to relocate my family to. Is there any allowances I can claim against tax for my four nights perweek rent?
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

Hi

Thanks for your question

I am afraid that as this move of employment will not see you undertaking a relocation then any costs incurred cannot be exempted from tax and national insurance, or attract tax relief on them, as your travel costs and overnight stays are merely incurred in order for you to perform your duties, and are not of a temporary nature, on which a relocation will follow.

Whether your employer would be willing to cover this costs for a set time, during which you will then just be liable to tax and National Insurance on the payments covered (which is much cheaper then being out of pocket for the total cost) is something perhaps worth discussing with the employer.

Or whether they will help with the additional costs to live in this expensive area, which could then facilitate a possible move.

I am sorry the news is not more favourable.

Thanks