How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 13828
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My job has moved 170 miles, so I have to live away from home

Customer Question

My job has moved 170 miles, so I have to live away from home for four nights per week.
The area relocated too is perhaps the most expensive outside London, making it financially impossible to relocate my family to. Is there any allowances I can claim against tax for my four nights perweek rent?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.



Thanks for your question


I am afraid that as this move of employment will not see you undertaking a relocation then any costs incurred cannot be exempted from tax and national insurance, or attract tax relief on them, as your travel costs and overnight stays are merely incurred in order for you to perform your duties, and are not of a temporary nature, on which a relocation will follow.


Whether your employer would be willing to cover this costs for a set time, during which you will then just be liable to tax and National Insurance on the payments covered (which is much cheaper then being out of pocket for the total cost) is something perhaps worth discussing with the employer.

Or whether they will help with the additional costs to live in this expensive area, which could then facilitate a possible move.


I am sorry the news is not more favourable.











Related UK Tax Questions