How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tony Tax Your Own Question
Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15940
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
Tony Tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I exercised share options in the company I work for. I originally

This answer was rated:

I exercised share options in the company I work for. I originally bought the shares on 4th April 2012, and received the proceeds on 17th April 2013. The profit was approximately £24,000. Do I need to put this on the tax return I am about to complete for last financial year (2012/13), or should it go on this year's (2013/14)?

Can you tell me what the date of disposal of the shares was please. It will be shown on the contract note if you have one, either on paper or in electronic format. If they were sold through your employer, they will be able to tell you the actual date of sale of the shares.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It was in December 2012. I don't have the exact date - it will take me some time to find it.

If the disposal occurred in December 2012 then the gain needs to be reported in your 2012/13 tax return. What I'm puzzled by is why you didn't receive the disposal proceeds until 17 April 2013.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The proceeds were held up by the Israeli tax authorities, as they required proof (lots and lots of documentation) that I have never lived or worked in Israel. The HQ of the company I work for is in Israel, but I am British, and have never been there. I assume this doesn't affect your answer?

That explains the time lag between the date of disposal and the date you got the money. If you sold the shares in December 2012 then the disposal occurred in the 2012/13 tax year for UK tax purposes.

Tony Tax and other UK Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thanks for accepting my answer.