How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4978
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your UK Tax Question Here... is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If someone owns own-to-let property in the USA and is deriving

This answer was rated:

If someone owns own-to-let property in the USA and is deriving income from it they obviously have to declare that income in the US and pay taxes on it. If that person then moves to the UK they of course have to declare that rental income when self-assessing. That means they have paid taxes twice on the same income. I know that foreign taxes paid can be used as a foreign tax credit for earned income but what about passive income like investment properties? It would seem unfair to have to pay taxes twice on the same income stream.
Hello, if you have any questions or need further clarification after reading my answer please let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello. I believe you forgot to answer the question. Please do so.





You can claim credit for foreign tax paid on rental income and other investment income when completing your UK Tax return. You have to complete supplementary pages SA106 - Foreign and show tax suffered on that income.

More information on this can be found here

I hope this is helpful and answers your question. I am available for any follow up questions you may have, and you can use the reply button to post your follow up questions to the page. If you are happy and there are no more issues I will appreciate if you would kindly rate the service I provided to ensure I get paid for it. and other UK Tax Specialists are ready to help you