How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tony Tax Your Own Question
Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15901
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
Tony Tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, my name isXXXXX i will leave nwxt month

Customer Question

Hi, my name isXXXXX i will leave nwxt month from UK, can i get back my tax? how to i claim my tax money?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  Tony Tax replied 4 years ago.


You may be able to get back some of the tax you have paid as an employee since 6 April 2013. This will depend on how much you have earned and how much tax you have paid. You should complete a P85 before you leave the UK and send it to the tax office. The tax office will work out your tax position and repay any tax overpaid.


If your income between 6 April 2013 and when you leave the UK is £9,440 or less, you will be entitled to repayment of all the tax you have paid between those dates.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.



Thank you for your advice.

I was working since June 2010, So what will hapepen to tax before 6th April 2013.

Is there anyway to claim that tax amount before 6th of April 2013.



K Nisanthan


Expert:  Tony Tax replied 3 years ago.

You cannot claim back tax you paid before 6 April 2013 I'm afraid. I'm not aware of any country which allows foreigners to come in, earn money, pay taxes, use services and then claim back all the tax they paid when they leave and the UK is no different.

Related UK Tax Questions