How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tony Tax Your Own Question
Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15946
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
Tony Tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a UK citizen considering returning. I believe your tax

This answer was rated:

I am a UK citizen considering returning. I believe your tax year ends April 5th. So is April 5th 2014 the last day of your 2013 tax year? If so - what is the earliest and latest dates I can process my our self assessment for that year?

Next question: if I arrive either 180 or alternatively say 182 days before the last day of your tax year when would my first self assessment be due? Please be specific: example "if you arrive 180 days before tax year ending April 5th 2014 your first self assessment would be due at the earliest (date) and no later than (date).

The 2013/14 tax year runs from 6 April 2013 to 5 April 2014. The 2013/14 tax return needs to be with the tax office no later than 31 January 2015 in order to avoid a later submission penalty.

If you returned to live in the UK in the current tax year you would be UK resident for tax purposes from the day of your arrival. Income earned from that date on would be subject to UK tax. Income earned between 6 April 2013 and the day before you arrived in the UK would not be subject to UK tax. In effect, the tax year of your return to the UK would be split in two.

Depending on what you do for a living, you may or may not be required to complete self-assessment tax returns. If you take a job as an employee, you may not have to complete an annual return. If you set up as self-employed you will need to complete annual tax returns for the tax year in which you return onwards. If you have significant investment income or sources of income not taxed at source, rental income for example, you will need to register for self-assessment using a form SA1. Take a look here for some information on the requirements to complete tax returns.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Tony Tax and other UK Tax Specialists are ready to help you