How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 13830
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im returning to the UK after living abroad for many years.

This answer was rated:

I'm returning to the UK after living abroad for many years. I'll be working in a job (NOT self employed) in the UK. I have two investment properties overseas and that will be my only overseas income. Combined rental income for both properties is around 10,000 pounds before expenses and around 5,000 pounds after allowable expenses. Do I need to file a UK tax return? If so - can I do it myself - and is it fairly simple? Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I'm I correct in assuming that if I do need to file a tax return I will ONLY need to reference the two investment properties because the taxes from my UK job will be taken care of separately via the PAYE system?



You should declare ALL income both investment and employment income so that

1) only one set of tax free allowances are considered and

2) The full tax position is reviewed, which includes rate bands, incase the combined income sees you into the next tax band of 40% tax (If the combined income is more than £42475.

3) Because you have income which has not had tax deducted from it, that needs to be considered, and self assessment works when a TOTAL review of income is considered.


However, may I ask, will you be bringing the rental income into the UK?




Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am not sure if I'll be bringing the rental income into the UK or not. It will be paid into a foreign bank account and I may bring some of it into the UK. If I may ask - why do you ask? Thank you.



I ask because if you are not a British citizen (which I am assuming you are as you state you are returning to the UK after living many years abroad) then you do have the consideration of being taxed under whats known as the remittance basis,but I do not think this will apply to you, so you will need to complete self assessment and declare this income, whether or not it comes into the UK.




Sam and other UK Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Tax Questions