How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4962
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your UK Tax Question Here... is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to start filing UK tax returns again soon due to domicile

This answer was rated:

I need to start filing UK tax returns again soon due to domicile (moving back to England). I will have issues like rental property (overseas) and a foreign tax credit. My question is - is the UK's tax system like the US for example in that it is based on a trust basis? For example: if I state that I earned "x" amount of rental income and I paid "y" amount in foreign taxes (for the foreign tax credit) would I be required to furnish proof to my accountant or HRMC? I am very honest - just wanting to find out what proof if any my accountant and HRMC may require.

Hello, if you have any questions or need further clarification after reading my answer please let me know.


Thank you for your question...


You don't have to furnish any information to HMRC when filing your tax return. You sign a declaration that you have made full disclosure. You have to retain the documents and proof of payment of taxes in the event your return was subjected to an enquiry/scrutiny.


If you are engaging an accountant to act for you, it would be beneficial if you were to provide all information to him/her as part of workings.


If you need more information please let me know before you rate my service.


I hope this is helpful and answers your question. I am available for any follow up questions you may have, and you can use the reply button to post your follow up questions to the page. If you are happy and there are no more issues I will appreciate if you would kindly rate the service I provided to ensure I get paid for it. and other UK Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks. So to clarify - it is beneficial but not mandatory to furnish my accountant with proof of foreign tax credit, receipts etc?

Harold, thanks for your reply.


I would expect my clients to provide me with paperwork.. it is not mandatory.


Good luck.



Related UK Tax Questions