How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4971
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your UK Tax Question Here... is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I declare a loss against income on my self assessment from

This answer was rated:

If I declare a loss against income on my self assessment from renting uk property (for 2011/2012), but don't pay tax for that year (as my total income is below my personal allowance) so therefore get no rebate, how long can that rebate be carried forward, assuming I will pay tax in a subsequent year? Also, when I do start paying tax, do I need to take any action to claim the rebate, or should it be paid automatically?

Many thanks

Hello, if you have any questions or need further clarification after reading my answer please let me know.


Thank you for your question.


Losses from property income can be carried forward to be offset against future profits until such time that the losses are exhausted (fully utilised).

More information on losses to be carried forward can be found under Box 43 on Page UKPN 16 of sa105notes here


If you need more information please let me know before you rate my service.


I hope this is helpful and answers your question. I am available for any follow up questions you may have, and you can use the reply button to post your follow up questions to the page. If you are happy and there are no more issues I will appreciate if you would kindly rate the service I provided to ensure I get paid for it. and other UK Tax Specialists are ready to help you