How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 13884
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

House inherited June 1996, value £65,000. It has been let

This answer was rated:

House inherited June 1996, value £65,000.
It has been let out for 13 years of the 17 years of ownership.
There have been enhancement costs of about £20,000.
Are any of the following relevant? Indexation allowance, lettings relief, taper relief.
Can you suggest what the CGT would be on the above?



Thanks for your question


I am afraid it would seem that none of the reliefs you ask of, are allowable.

Indexation allowance and taper relief were abolished in April 2008, so are not due for any house sales that took place after this date.

Lettings relief, will only apply if at any time this was your main residence (from the date of acquisition in June 1996 to the date the property is sold)

You advise that you had £20,000 enhancement costs, please note that general repairs, or decorating are not permitted, but just capital improvements, such a new bathroom, kitchen, roof etc


Please advise what the position as with the property for the 4 of the 17 years, that it was not let out.

Please also clarify that the rental income has been declared to HMRC.

And if you wish to know what the capital gains would be please also advise

1) The value at todays date of the property

2) The date the letting commenced (and ceased if hot ongoing)

3) How much in legal and estate agent fees you estimate that it will cost to sell the property





Customer: replied 4 years ago.

House inherited from Mother, Father lived in it for one year 1996/7 when he died.First let out Nov 1998 when it did not sell.

10 year let followed

Refurbished 1 year, then daughter and partner lived in it 1 year.

Let out June 2010 until April 2013.

All rental declared to HMRC.

Value now £200000.

Selling costs approx £4000



Thanks for your response


The position is as this


You are not entitled to any relief, on the basis that you never lived here as your main residence, and subsequently, no lettings relief is due either.


So its a straight forward calculation as follows

Sale price (estimated £200,000 less value at the time you acquired it £65,000, so the initial gain is £145,000

From this you can deduct the refurb costs of £20,000 and the cost (approx) to sell £4000

This leaves £121,000


The first £10,600 will be exempt, as this is your annual exemption allowance for the year of sale (assuming its just your sole name) this leaves £110,400 to be considered for capital gains


If you annual income is in excess of £42475 a year, then this gain will be fully liable at 28% = £30,912 capital gains tax.

But if your annual income is less than £42475, then some of this will be liable at 18% (the equivilent of unused basic rate band) and the remainder at 28%.


To calculate you unused basic rate band - you deduct your annual income from £42475 and this is your unused rate band.

(Just note that if your annual income is less than the personal allowances, which currently stands at £9440 then these are not available to use- so its the unused basic rae band between £9440 if under 65 and £42475)




Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can I ask another question please.

Is it legal to move into the rental property, after selling our main residence, to avoid the tax?



Thanks for your further question


No its not illegal, but for HMRC to consider this, and remember this then means allowing private residence relief for the time you live there, plus up to £40,000 (max) of private lettings relief, then the time you live here has to be of a quantative nature.

So you will need to move all aspects of your life ( and dispose of any other owned property, or let it out) so that HMRC have no argument to disallow the releifs then claimed.




Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is my intention to move within England, and I have had both the rental property (in my name) and our main residence (in my wifes name, historically for inheritance tax purposes-not relevant now) valued. If we moved to the rental property fully how long would we have to stay? The whole exercise is because our daughter is pregnant, and we want to move nearer to her.



Thanks for your response


Its not a question of time, but of quality (as advised above)

I assume its the inherited (rented out) property that is closer to your daughter or is it the current main residence?

If its the rental property, then as long as you rent out the current main residence AND move all aspects of you live to the inherited property, then this would reduce your capital gains.

But if you are meaning that you have to be back at the current main residence (as this is where your daughter is situated) then again, its not a question of time away from your main residence, or time in the inherited property, but that you move with the intention of remaining in the inherited property as your main residence with the full quality of running all aspects of your life.


If you then come back after 6 months,( having not let out or sold) to your current main residence, and then either sell or continue to let out the inherited property, then HMRC will treat this as merely an exercise to reduce the capital gains, rather than a true need/ intention to settle in the inherited property.

And on that basis, then will disallow any reliefs you have claimed to reduce the capital gain position.




Sam and other UK Tax Specialists are ready to help you