How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tony Tax Your Own Question
Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15901
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
Tony Tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Four family members have owned a small field for 7 years, originally

This answer was rated:

Four family members have owned a small field for 7 years, originally valued at £8,600. It is registered as grazing land and most of the field has been rented to adjoinig riding school for last 5 years for £1,000 p.a.
We will apply for outline planning permission, and if successful the field is likely to be sold for £1,000,000. Are we able to claim 10% Entrepreneurs Allowance when paying Capital Gains Tax?l

Unless you actually run a business from the land which you don't (letting land is not a business for ER purposes), you won't qualify for entrepreneurs' relief on the gain from selling the land I'm afraid. Take a look at HS275 for the qualifying criteria in detail.

I'm sorry that my answer is not what you wanted. Let me know if you have further questions.
Tony Tax and other UK Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Many thanks for a very helpful reply although don't think we'll be very happy ("gutted" seems an appropriate word!) to have to possibly pay Inland Revenue several hundred thousand pounds CGT !


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Many thanks-you've answered my question very well. Now know the situation regarding rented grazing land and Entrepreneurs Allowance if paying capital gains tax . No further questions so please claim your charge.
Kind Regards,

You've already paid. Thanks and good lcuk.

Related UK Tax Questions