UK Tax

UK tax questions? Ask a UK tax advisor for answers ASAP

I am CIS registered and Ive had the last 2 years tax returtns…

I am CIS registered and...
I am CIS registered and I've had the last 2 years tax returtns done, but when I look at my rebate it seems low. What can I do about claiming for tools, accomodation when away from home and vehicle costs?
4/15/2013
taxonomy12
taxonomy12, Accountant

Hello there

The first point to consider is that you can claim for expenses if they are incurred wholly and exclusively for business purposes. Therefore if you purchase tools that are exclusively for use in your business, then you can claim 100% of the cost against your tax liability.

If your work requires you to stay away from home occasionally then you can claim the cost of accommodation for the overnight stay. This may become an issue if you are working "away" in the same place for a long period of time, but if this is just a one-off, occasional stay away then you can claim for accommodation and subsistence.

In relation to vehicle costs, and depending upon the size of your business, you can either claim a per mile allowance of 45p for the first 10,000 business miles and then 25p thereafter, or you can claim the actual costs of running the vehicle (such as fuel, insurance, repairs etc) as well as capital allowances. If you go down the latter route, you may have to consider whether a proportion of the expenses should be disallowed as being for personal use.

If you feel that your tax returns have been submitted incorrectly, then if the return was submitted less than 12 months ago, you are able to submit an amended return. If the return was submitted over 12 months ago, you may have to submit an overpayment relief claim.

I hope this helps but please let me know if you have any questions.

Best wishes

Paul

taxonomy12
taxonomy12, Accountant

So how do I do that?

Can I contact the tax office direct?

Hello there

Yes - you can do both a tax return amendment and an overpayment relief claim directly with the tax office yourself.

In order to amend the return, you simply submit a revised return to HMRC with the corrected figures and mark it up as being an amendment.

An overpayment relief claim is less straightforward, but the process you need to follow is described in the HMRC manuals here and essentially involved writing a letter to HMRC with specific information:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/sacmanual/sacm12150.htm

Please do let me know if you have any difficulties with this or require further assistance.

Best wishes

Paul