UK Tax

UK tax questions? Ask a UK tax advisor for answers ASAP

Hello, I am in the middle of an insurance claim after a fire…

Hello, I am in the...
Hello, I am in the middle of an insurance claim after a fire at my business address, and the insurers have asked for the last 2 years VAT returns to help calculate loss of earnings. My accountant has always filled out the returns and I have never received copys, and now he has stopped replying when I email asking for copies!
Can I contact HMRC and ask for copies from them?
4/12/2013
Sam, Accountant

Hi

Yes you can - but do explain that your accountant never provided copies, and refuses to answer your emails requesting them. (as they will be awkward about the fact you should have kept better records, and this wastes time, to then to have to respond as to why you do not have copies !)

I would also be inclined to make a complaint to the senior partner of this accountant (or the body of professional accountants he is affiliated with) as by law he should have provided you with copies.

If I could ask that your rate the level of service received, as this ensures I am paid, and feedback and/or a bonus are always welcome.

Thanks

Sam, Accountant