UK Tax

UK tax questions? Ask a UK tax advisor for answers ASAP

My wife and I are UK non-resident since Jan 2009. Our house…

My wife and I are...
My wife and I are UK non-resident since Jan 2009. Our house in London is now empty and on the market. When filling our my UK Tax Declaration can I make any deductions such as mortgage payments even if the house is not rented out?
4/12/2013
Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant
Hi.

Has the house been let at all since you moved abroad? Since it is up for sale, can I assume that it is not available for letting?

It was let out for a period after we left the UK, then it got extended and refurbished over 18 months and now we have put it up for sale - it is perfectly let-able, but we would prefer to sell it and it is not currently advertised for letting.

Thanks.

You can only claim expenses while the property is let or is available for let I'm afraid. So, given that it was let, had it been your intention to re-let it, you could continue to claim expenses during the period it was vacant. However, any loss created by those expenses would only be deductible from profits made in future tax years.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant