UK Tax

UK Tax Questions? Ask a UK Tax Advisor for answers ASAP

UK Tax

I have a limited company for doing contract work in consultancy

and we also operate 2...
I have a limited company for doing contract work in consultancy and we also operate 2 sets of holiday lets, both of which make a loss. In 2011 the UK government stopped the practice of offsetting the losses of one business against the profits of another. I have now retired and was unaware of this until I just got a tax bill for £13,000 for my final year's consulting business. I asked our accountants if I couldn't put the holiday lets under the consulting company and they said "no". Is there any way of reducing the tax bill?
Many thanks
4/7/2013
Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant
Hi.

You say you are retired but that you have a limited company. Does the company still trade? Are the holiday lets owned by you personally or by a limited company? Are they UK lets or foreign lets? How have the losses from the lets been dealt with in the past?

Hi - the company is still available to trade but I hadn't expected to do any more consulting work. The holiday lets (one in UK, one in France) do not currently come under the company but I was wondering if it would be better (and possible) for them to do so..... They are owned by my husband and me. In the past, the holiday lets have had their own accounts done, separately from the company. Until 2011, UK tax law allowed the losses from the holiday lets to be offset against my consulting income, but I am told that can no longer happen. However, if they were owned by the company, I wonder if it would be different?

Thanks

Thanks.

Leave this with me while I draft my answer.
Hi again.

If you transfer the properties into your limited company, the "disposal" may give rise to Capital Gains Tax liabilities for you and your husband.

The only way that property let losses can be offset against other limited company income is if they are not furnished holiday lets but regular residential lettings. The loss relief restrictions that apply to individuals apply to limited companies too.

The losses you have accrued cannot be used by the company that you put the properties into. You would be deemed to have ended your furnished holiday let business as a personal business. In your case, if you retain personal ownership of the properties, the losses can only be offset against future profits from the same source, ie a loss on the UK let cannot be used against a French let.

Take a look at HS253 which explains the new rules for furnished holiday lets.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Hi - I've read this several times (and also the HS253 guidance) and I still don't really understand. Are you saying I CAN'T put the properties into my consulting company, or that it would be unwise (because of capital gains - but I don't think I'm worried about that) or that if I DID put them in the company, they would still be treated separately for tax, so I couldn't net the consultancy profits against the holiday let losses?

Sorry if I'm being a bit slow on the uptake.....

Thanks - Gill

If you put them in the company any losses from furnished holiday lets would not be deductible from other trading profits. Take a look here for confirmation.
Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant
Tony Tax
Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant