UK Tax

UK tax questions? Ask a UK tax advisor for answers ASAP

I live in australia and have been letting a property in the…

I live in australia and...
I live in australia and have been letting a property in the UK for 3 years. In that time I
have been charged VAT on the letting agents management fee and any of the maintainence charges that have been incurred. I have now sold the property and have been charged VAT by the selling agent and the solicitor, Is this correct and if not can I reclaim the VAT? If so how do I go about this?
Thanks,

XXXXX XXXXX
4/1/2013
Sam Pathak
Sam Pathak, Mr S Pathak MBA FCCA CTA

Dear XXXXX

Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, charging VAT as above is correct, as per the UK tax rules.

As the property was not the commercial property, and also it was not opted for VAT by you (I assume correct), you can NOT claim it back, so it will be part the total expenses for you.

However, the letting agents etc are required to charge VAT on their services to you, that's why they are charging VAT on their fees/costs.

I am sorry it is not a good news for you, however, is the correct position.

I trust the above clarifies.

Best regards
Sam Pathak
Sam Pathak
Sam Pathak, Mr S Pathak MBA FCCA CTA