How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tony Tax Your Own Question
Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15946
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
Tony Tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have found that I am on an emegency tax code [810L W1] and

This answer was rated:

I have found that I am on an emegency tax code [810L W1] and believe that I am due a refund. Is this the case; and what are the two seperate deductions re NI? The figures are: Taxable pay to date £19451.63 Tax payed to date £3294.20. Employee NI to date £1751.97. Employer NI to date £2147.84. ?

Can you tell me how long you have been on the 810L W1 tax code please. Is this your first job or your first job after a period of not working? Have you changed jobs since April 2012? Do you have any other sources of income?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have been employed with this firm and on this 810L W1 code since August 2012 but prior to that I was a sub-contractor in construction trading between April 2012 and the date of my employment when that work ended. Tax was deducted under the CSI scheme during that period. Gross £9057.60 deductions £1811.52


A normal tax code would be 810L. An 810L W1 code means that you have only been given a personal allowance since you started the job in August 2012 (not for April to July 2012) which would not be a bad idea were it not for the fact that your earnings from self-employment have had tax deducted at 20% so there can be no further liability there assuming that you draw your accounts up to 5 April and the £9,057 will be your slf-employed earnings for 2012/13 before expenses.

If you had been on a 810L regular tax code, you would have paid tax of £2,405.20 instead of £3,294.20 so you are overpaid by about £889. Call the tax office on the number here and ask for the code to be revised to 810L and tell them that your self-employed income has been taxed through the CIS system. If the new code reaches your employer before the March payroll is run, you will get the excess tax back through your payslip direct into your bank assuming you are paid that way. If not, then you will need to claim it back via your self-assessment tax return at the end of the tax year.

Employee NIC is the national insurance contributions that you pay. Employer NIC is the national insurance contributions that your employer pays (the so called tax on jobs). They aren't affected by your tax code.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Tony Tax and other UK Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks I will call that number.

Thanks for accepting my answer. Good luck with the call.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Regarding the two separate NIs - employer and employee: when I submit my tax return do I submit the sum of the two as NI paid by me or do I disregard the figure relating to " employer"?
You don't mention the NI paid by you or the employer in your tax return at all. All you put in the employment pages is your gross pay from the P60 and the tax deducted from the P60.