UK Tax

UK tax questions? Ask a UK tax advisor for answers ASAP

I wish to give my daughter a gift of £16000. Would she or I…

I wish to give my...
I wish to give my daughter a gift of £16000. Would she or I be liable for taxation
and if so are there any ways around the situation please? Many Thanks
7/9/2012
Sam, Accountant

Hi

Thanks for your question

The actual gift itself will cause no taxation issues for you or your daughter, the only aspect that you need to be aware of, is that of Inheritance tax, should you not survive more than 7 years from the date of making this gift.

If that becomes the case, then if your estate is worth more than £325,000 then this gift will have to be added into the estate and Inheritance tax will be due on it.

However, if your estate is less than £325,000 and you survive more than 7 years, then this also is not an issue

Thanks

Sam, Accountant