UK Tax

UK tax questions? Ask a UK tax advisor for answers ASAP

Hello - my client received a cash allowance from his company…

Hello - my client received...
Hello - my client received a cash allowance from his company to help him fund the purchase of a private car. Can you tell me how this is declared on the P11d, and whether Class 1A NIC will be payable on this?
7/6/2012
Sam, Accountant

HI

This payment should be paid through the salary so its liable to tax and National Insurance under PAYE not through the P11d

Thanks

Sam, Accountant

Hello I wonder if I can refer back to this answer I received in July. I have been alerted to a tax case (Total People Limited v HMRC) where it was ruled that NI Contributions (employer and employee) were not payable on Car Allowances. Can you therefore clarify whether your answer is still valid, or has something changed?