UK Tax

UK tax questions? Ask a UK tax advisor for answers ASAP

my question is on International business law

7/5/2012
kattorney

Kathie Russell :

How long have you been married?

Kathie Russell :

U.S. citizens living and working in the UK re likely to be on the Pay As You Earn PAYE system i.e. the employer will deduct your UK Taxes due directly from salary. The PAYE system is quite simple and you don’t need to do much to stay compliant with Her Majesties Revenue and Customs HMRC. Taxes and National Insurance are automatically withdrawn from salary. The US and UK have a double taxation treaty so you will not own tax on your income twice and you can use the Foreign Tax Credit and the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion to build up some credits in the US and/or avoid paying any tax in the US.

If you are self-employed, however, the situation becomes more complicated. The US / UK tax treaty says that you would need to opt out of US Social Security in the US, even if you are already paying NI – this is not automatic. To opt out you would need to visit the Social Security website at www.ssa.gov and you can search for the UK tax treaty. If you fail to do this you could owe a significant amount of money to the IRS and this would not be offset by any of the credits or exclusions available i.e. you would need to write a check that would be about 15.3% of your 2010 earnings.

Kathie Russell :

However, there is something amiss in your husband's story, as Great Britain does not detain US citizens for payment of taxes.

Kathie Russell :

There is a bill set to take effect in 2013 which would revoke US passports if you owe the IRS - but even under that law, you would be able to travel home if you are out of the country.

Kathie Russell :

If you have been married for a long time, you need to question your husband thoroughly on the circumstances and ask for some proof.

Kathie Russell :

If this is a person to whom you are engaged to be married, you are the victim of a scam and you will be asked for money for many things before it's all over with. Please give me some more information about your husband so that I can give you some better information on the situation.

Customer:

My husband ownes the business and we have been together for many years and we have complete trust in one another...there is no salary , and my husband is from New Zealand

Customer:

originally from New Zealand

Kathie Russell :

OK. You asked this question in a business law forum - I also answer fraud examiner questions and this fits the pattern of many of the frauds we see. I am going to send your question to a UK tax expert, because it is not within the expertise of business law or fraud examiner at this point - and especially with your husband being from New Zealand. I will try to find someone else to answer for you.

Customer:

ok thank you so much Kathie

Kathie Russell :

You are very welcome. I sent the question over to UK tax experts. It may take a few minutes for someone to pick it up. Best of luck to you.

Customer:

thank you

Kathie Russell :

You're welcome - don't reply in this thread any longer as it may make it take longer for another expert to pick up the question. thanks!

Customer:

hello I am here just waiting patiently

Kathie Russell :

OK. Please do not reply back to me. It may make it take longer for another expert to get this question. You may want to check back in a bit. But please don't reply until you hear from another expert. Thanks!

TaxVince
TaxVince, Accountant
Hi there

I hope i can help you. Depending on the number of months your husband was here in the UK and his tax status, his UK income and/or gains are likely to be liable to UK tax. However the US / UK tax treaty would make it possible to claim a tax credit in relation to whatever he would have paid in UK.

With regards XXXXX XXXXX detention and passport confiscation, there is no such law in the UK that allows that.Some countries have laws that allow the border agency to confiscate passport for a tax debt. However in UK there is no such law.

You probably to get to the bottom of the issue by ringing the tax authority here in UK, HMRC (they are usually very helpful) with your husbands' details.0044845(NNN) NNN-NNNNor(NNN) NNN-NNNN300 0627.

if thereis more information on this subject I would greatly appreciate it. I know that this can be quite confusing so would like to talk to you on-line at this IM and I really do not understand what all those numbers are

00448450109000 or 00448453000627

Sorry i away.

The numbers listed are for the tax authority here in UK, HMRC +44845(NNN) NNN-NNNNor +44845(NNN) NNN-NNNN I'm afraid there is not much information about your case. It would be helpful if you could establish with the tax office here, on exactly the issues with the tax, allegedly underpaid and why his passport was consificated. The tax athourity may shed more light on that action.

If you need more clarification on this, im happy to chat on IM anytime.
I am sorry I do at times feel like a stupid women and I want to thank you for being so patient with me. I no not your name so Mr. or Mrs. I appreciate all your answers. I was wondering if you could explain just a little on july 5 the first paragraph on the income and tax I went on line to find the treaty on UK and US tax treaty and it is confusing so this first paragraph of the first conversation, I need a little more explanation of it if you would not mind, I realize I can be a knot head so it is just a bit confusing. Thank you so much for your time and I will try to keep an eye open so we may be able to talk...if not and this is the best answer I can get than I think my husband is trying some funny business....???? maybe??? because this does not make any sense...at all. thank you Darlys Gabert
Thanks for the response. I really understand your concern. However i think this is the best answer you can get unless you have more information on the case. Have you tried calling your tax authority to get additional information on the issue. That would greatly help and maybe we can establish the facts. I'm available for chat right now.
how do I get on your chat...Darlys
Sorry im also checking with the admin here on how to use chat IM service once the question has been answered. Im still waiting for thier response. I have tried everything that i know.
ok thank you this is not a real user friendly forum ..they need to set up a chat line here ...really bad...thank you so much for your time I am sorry for all the confusion..on my part I do appreciate all your answers...it is still very confusing to me ..IM at [email protected]
Sorry the site does not allow private emails so i can only see XXXX on your message. Anyway as said, there is not much I can add without the additional information on the tax side of issues. If you manage to speak to HMRC on the issue, please send me the details and i will be happy to answer them anytime.

thank you so very much for all the time you have spent with me I truly appreciate every word of your wisdom. I hope that this all works out. I will do all you have suggested. My best to you and have a blessed day.

lovers in pairs breakfast in bed ya hoo d o t c o m Darlys

Thanks. Please click the ACCEPT button or rate it OK or better before you leave
TaxVince
TaxVince, Accountant
I am not sure why I keep getting this rating thing when I have done so twice
there is no accept button . eccept when I click on to get in here...not sure what is going on but I have rated it 3 times now I think this site needs to be more user friendly if the message has not been given...thanks Darlys
Dont worry. Thats sorted now. Thank you.

I am not sure why I keep getting this I have rated your service 4 times and I gave it an excellent rating.....could you please fix this I was happy with the answer and the wisdom from your knowledge...Thanks Darlys

lovers in pairs breakfast in bed ya hoo thanks so much for everything

I will check with IT again. Thanks
TaxVince
TaxVince
TaxVince, Accountant