UK Tax

UK tax questions? Ask a UK tax advisor for answers ASAP

A nearly 80 year old member of my family has recently been…

A nearly 80 year old...
A nearly 80 year old member of my family has recently been sent a long, complicated and barely understandable request from HMCR for details of his financial affairs going back over 15 years. This followed a recent letter saying he was no longer required to compete annual tax returns.
To date the tax returns have been settled easily as all taxable income was fully declared.
Can the HMCR expect a person of this age and very modest income mainly from State pension and a few tax exempt investments to be able to be able to understand and report details of transactions long ago completed and reported anyway. I regard this as harrasment and have suggested he complains to his MP, but under what rules can the revenue make such requests?
7/3/2012
TaxVince
TaxVince, Accountant
Im deeply sorry for this kind of treatment. However as far as I know, the UK income tax system has no age restrictions, so taxpayers who earn more than a certain amount annually must file tax returns returns as long as they live in the country. Even though age is not a factor in tax filing requirements, there are special situations that may give elderly individuals a tax break. Depending on their circumstances, some senior citizens may not even need to file a tax return. Give me some few minutes and will add more details.
HMCR have said they no longer require a return from 2011/12. The complicated request came after that. It involves house purchases, he has only ever owned his main residence. They also request other financial details which having been reported on completed tax returns he no longer has the records.
I agree HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) should have already collected the tax due in your Tax Calculation (P800) because the information had already been provided to it and the law clearly says HMRC failed or delayed to use this information, then the should ask for the information. One particular law is 'Extra Statutory Concession' (ESC A19) which specifically stops HMRC to request such information if they had been given already or failed to ask for such information in the past. However HMRC has a right to past information is where tax issues involved relates to disputes with HMRC.

The circumstances you listed above makes it clear that HMRC are in the "wrong" and the thats poor service and inconvenience.

To make a formal complaint please see the following links:

This sites can help:
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/complaints-appeals/how-to-complain/make-complaint.htm

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/Taxes/ContactOrDealWithHMRC/DG_10014956
Thanks that, it confirms the feeling I had that this was a 'fishing' expedition by the Revenue probably prompted by the tax affairs of a purchaser of my relations house. But HMCR have or can get all the info they need from Old tax returns,Land registry, Probate office etc.they are asking the public to do their job, idle buggers.
Welcome. Please click ACCEPT button or rate it OK or better before you leave to ensure I get paid. Thanks.
TaxVince
TaxVince, Accountant