How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4972
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your UK Tax Question Here... is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi i dont know my tax code but i have an opportunity to work

Customer Question

i dont know my tax code but i have an opportunity to work abroad but i need to know if i owe any taxes in the uk is this something you could help me with.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Tax
Expert: replied 5 years ago.

Hello, if you have any questions or need further clarification after reading my answer please let me know.


please advise if

you are registered for self assessment

you are employed or self employed


thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no i havent worked since september my partner works abroad ive been stayng with him a business oppotunity has arisen for me to have my own business but i need to know if i owe any tax in uk first. do you know who i need to contact.
Expert: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your response.


You say you have not worked since September. Please advise


Were you an employee up to Sep? If so, were you given a P45?

Are you living outside UK at present?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes i was an employee until september and i was given a p45. i am still living in the uk at present im abroad visiting now but hoping to move out permanently.
Expert: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your response Sharon.


You should complete form P85. This would enable HMRC to bring your tax affairs up to date. It can be downloaded from this link here


and send it to HMRC, PAYE, PO Box 1970, Liverpool L75 1WX.


If you need more information please let me know.


I hope this is helpful and answers your question. I am available for any follow up questions you may have, and you can use the reply button to post your follow up questions to the page.