UK Tax

UK Tax Questions? Ask a UK Tax Advisor for answers ASAP

UK Tax

Can you help me understand my tax code please, I have been

Customer Question
trying to call the tax...
Can you help me understand my tax code please, I have been trying to call the tax helpline for the last 3 days. It has cost me 15.00 on my mobile as I do not have a landline and cannot get any answer.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: UK Tax
3/3/2012
UK Tax Professional: INC, Solicitor-Advocate replied 5 years ago
INC
INC, Solicitor-Advocate

What is your Tax Code?

since last september i have received 4 different tax codes. I came on pension last sept received a letter to say tax code had been changed from 747l to 67l I contacted them to explain my tax code since 2008 had been 543T. I was then told I had been on wrong tax code for 3 years and it was their fault and I got a tax rebate up to 2010/2011. On 29 Jan 2012 received new tax code for 2012/2013 97L. I then got 1another letter dated 23 Feb saying I had been overpaid for year 2010/2012 207.88. I then received another letter yesterday saying my tax code is going to be K5 showing an under payment restriction of 1039. I also work full time and have done since Oct 2008. I have P60 for the last 2 years which show my personal allowance as being 6475 but it clearly states tax code 543T. I am a divorced woman of 61. I cannot get through to tax office on phone. Can you advise please.

Can you confirm what they believe to be your most up to date tax code?

I understand that on your payslips it states 543T.

when I got my pension in Sept I got a letter form them to say my Tax code as from the 7th Sept when I received my pension would change from 747L (single person code) to 68L I contacted them and explained that my tax code was 543T and had been since Oct 2008. They immediately apologised said it was there mistake and I had been on the wrong tax code and sent me a tax rebate for the years 2009/2010 and 2010/2011 and that I should have been on a tax code for a single person ending in L and not T.

This is out of my remit. I will pass this over to a colleague.

Okay. This is also worring for me as cannot get hold of Tax office
UK Tax Professional: Tony Tax, Tax Consultant replied 5 years ago
Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant
Hi.

When you say you came on pension, are you referring to a state pension, an occupational one or a personal pension. What are your current sources of income?
Yes I now receive an old age pension which started in Sept 2011 of 520 per mo plus 16000 per year from my job. Since starting work in Oct 2008 all I have had is my salary. I did not get any other benefits.
Is your state pension paid monthly or every four 28 days? There is a difference? Does the letter the tax office sent you say to which year the underpayment restriction comes from?
Hi this is all really complicated isn't. I receive my pension every four 28 days. I have a letter from them saying in year 2009-10 an overpayment of 207.88 was made which they refunded. I also got a letter saying overpayment year 2010-11 415.08. the next letter said tax underpaid 2010-11 207.88 I then got a letter telling me as underpayment of tax paid underpayment restriction of 1039 ad been added and my new tax code for 2012-13 would be K5 and not 97L as previously advised. I really don't understand this one minute they are telling me my tax code was wrong and now they are saying I owe them tax and this restriction has been added.

You are not getting a decent service from the tax office and when you do call them and get through you should immediately ask for the complaints manager. They are usually good at getting things that have gone wrong rectified.

You are entitled to a personal allowance of £7,475 for 2011/12. Deduct the state pension from that for the period from September 2011 to 5 April 2012 of about £3,900 (£520 x 13 / 52 weeks x 30 weeks) and that leaves you with net allowances of £3,575 which converts to a tax code of 357T. The letter really doesn't matter. This assumes your birthday is XXXXX at the beginning of September.

For 2012/13, you will be entitled to a personal allowance of £8,105 less a full years state pension of £7,111 (£547 x 13) leaving you with net allowances of £994. The tax office seems to think you are underpaid for 2010/11 by £207.88. If that's correct, its because they repaid you £207.88 earlier. If they did repay you earlier and that is now wrong, then they are right to collect that through your 2012/13 tax code and your allowances will reduce to £-45, tax code K4 or K5.

There is no point in writing a letter. The tax office will take months to respond. Call the tax office 8 am to 8pm weekdays or 8 am to 4pm on Saturdays and make a complaint. Ask the complaints manager to look at your case and explain why you are being given contradictory information and for a written explanation and apology. There sre some notes on complaints here.

Let me know if you have any further queries.
Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant
Tony Tax
Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant