UK Tax

UK Tax Questions? Ask a UK Tax Advisor for answers ASAP

UK Tax

Hi, I work as a day trader from home trading forex full time

as my only source of...
Hi, I work as a day trader from home trading forex full time as my only source of income. How do I structure myself to pay the least possible tax? I am based in the UK.
10/4/2010
Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant
Hi.

Can you tell me how you trade forex. Do you use a spread betting account or a retail forex broker? How much money do you make in a year?
Hi Tony.

I trade using a retail forex broker.

I have only just gone full time so can't tell you how much I make in a year. However, I anticipate making approx £75k - £150k in my first year at a very rough guess.
Thanks.

If you trade as a sole trader, the first £6,475 of your profit in 2010/11 will be tax free, the next £37,400 will be taxable at 20%, the next £106,125 will be taxed at 40% and anything over £150,000 will be taxed at 50%. You'll pay Class 4 NIC at 8% on profits between £5,715 and £43,875 and at 1% on profits above that. If you choose this route you need to register as self-employed within three months of starting out or face a £100 fine. You can register as self-employed here.

If you trade through a limited company, profits up to £300,000 will be taxed at 21%, the small companies rate of corporation tax. Any money you draw as salary will need to be subjected to income tax and national insurance contributions through a PAYE scheme as you will be an employee/director of the company. As well as income tax (above the personal allowance of £6,475) you will pay employees national insurance contributions at 11% on earnings above £5,720 per annum up to £43,875 and at 1% above that level and the company will have an employer's national insurance contributions liability at 12.8% on the salary it pays you in excess of £5,720 per annum. The salary and employer's nic are tax deductible expenses for the company.

You can withdraw profits in the form of a dividend which is treated as basic rate tax paid so if you drew nothing but dividend you could take out £39,487.50 net (£43,875 gross) and have no further personal tax to pay. above that level, dividends are taxed at 32.5% less the 10% tax credit and over £150,000 at 42.5% less the 10% tax credit. Dividends aren't subject to national insurance contributions. The dividend carries a notional 10% tax credit but none of this is repayable. The dividend is not a tax deductible expense for the company. It is paid out of after tax profits.

Many people starting out in business for the first time choose to use the sole trader route initially as setting up a company and complying with the red tape that comes with it can be time consuming and expensive if you use an accountant. You can always incorporate your business into a limited company later on.

You might find the website here useful.

Let me know if you have any queries.

Edited by Tony on 10/4/2010 at 7:29 PM EST
Thank you for your answer.

If I go the sole trader route, how do I pay the tax? Do I have to fill out a tax return and how frequent is this?

Thank you for the website link as well.

Hi again.

You need to register as self-employed. You'll receive a tax return after the end of the tax year on 5 April 2011. The tax payable for 2010/11 will need to be settled by 31 January 2012. If your liability is over £1,000, you will need to make payments on account for 2011/12 on 31 January 2012 and 31 July 2012, each one equal to your 2010/11 liability. If you think your liability for that year will be less you can apply to have the payments on account reduced. Any further tax payable for 2011/12 will be payable on 31 January 2013, together with the first payment on account for 2012/13. And so it goes on. You receive one tax return per year.

If you choose the self-employed route, I'd draw your accounts up to 5 April to coincide with the end of the tax year. It will make life easier.

Edited by Tony on 10/4/2010 at 7:51 PM EST
OK great and just last few questions... What records do I need to keep? As I am a trader, will I need to show profit/loss statements from my broker? Bank statements?

I will be drawing profits from my trading account to my bank account every month, are there any restrictions on how much money as am able to use as income?
Hi again.

Keep trading statements, bank statements and any other paperwork related to the business including expenses receipts.

I'm not sure what you mean by "restrictions on how much money as am able to use as income". As a sole trader, you will be taxed on your profit regardless of whether you draw it out of your trading account or not.
Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant
Tony Tax
Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant