How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 13819
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How much tax will I have to pay on my teachers pension

Resolved Question:

How much tax will I have to pay on my teacher's pension?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for your question

Could you advise how much your teachers pension is - and any other incomes you may have - with the amounts (such as employment,self employment.state pension, pensions of investment income)

I also would need you date of birth - to establish whether you are due age related allowances


Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My pension will be £44,590.My date of birth is 13-04-1953
Expert:  Sam replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the additional information

As you are not yet 65 (way off yet!) you will only be due the basic personal allowances.

So Pension £44590
Less Tax free 6475
Liable to tax 38115
Liable to 20% tax 37400 x 20% = £7480.00
Liable to 40% tax 715 x 40% = £ 286.00

Total tax due per year £7766 and per month £647.16


Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I'm sorry I have given you the wrong figures!! the £44 590 was my "lump sum"!!

could you please work out the tax on my annual pension of £14,863 ?!!

Expert:  Sam replied 7 years ago.

Thats not a problem !

Annual Pension £14863
Less Allowances 6475
Liable to tax 8388 x 20% = £1677.60 a year
So £139.80 a month


Sam and other UK Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Tax Questions