How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tony Tax Your Own Question
Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15915
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
Tony Tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My employer has not paid my tax and N.I. contributions for

Customer Question

My employer has not paid my tax and N.I. contributions for 7 years. I only found this out when I applied for job seekers allowance after he made me redundant. I cannot claim anything as the tax people say I have not made enough contributions. My employer paid me cash each month with no pay slip, but I do have a contract signed 4 years ago. My contract states I will be paid a salary of £20,000 per annum, which is £1666.67 per month. I was paid £1300 per month cash. As far as I was concerned, my employer paid the tax and N.I. I have tried to contact the tax people about the matter, but they have told me that it is all under investigation. I cannot find out what's going on. My solicitor has written to my previous employer about the matter some weeks ago, but has not heard anything back as yet. What do I do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  Tony Tax replied 8 years ago.

Since you got no payslips you really do have a problem. I suspect you probably didn't get a year end P60 either which summarises your total pay and tax for each tax year.


I think you will just have to wait for the outcome of the tax office investigation and let your lawyer deal with it. If you had payslips or P60s you would be in a far better position. You may have to try suing your former employer for the fact that you can't get any jobseekers allowance. The fact that you have a contract of employment is a good thing. It shows that you were an employee and not working on a self-employed basis so I can't see how the Revenue could seek to tax you.


In order to try to force the Revenue to give you credit for national insurance contributions which will help you claim jobseekers allowance, you might want to contact which is a charity that specialises in helping people with tax problems and little money to pay for professional help. Your sort of case might be outside of their remit but it's worth a try in my opinion.


As far as the jobseekers allowance itself is concerned, there must be appeal procedures you could follow and I would suggest you get in touch with your local Citizens Advice Bureau for advice in this regard.

Tony Tax and other UK Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Many thanks for your help and advice
Expert:  Tony Tax replied 8 years ago.
I'm sorry I couldn't come up with a magic solution for you. I'm sure the payslips would have been helpful in dealing with both the tax office and the jobcentre people but all is not lost as you have a written contract of employment. I'll do a bit more research for you and post anything that might help you here or send it to to forward to you. Good luck.