How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tony Tax Your Own Question
Tony Tax
Tony Tax, Tax Consultant
Category: UK Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15933
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your UK Tax Question Here...
Tony Tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how much can i claim back for each mile, if i am self empl

Resolved Question:

how much can i claim back for each mile, if i am self employed?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: UK Tax
Expert:  Tony Tax replied 8 years ago.
If the annual turnover of your business is under the VAT registration threshold in the year you first start to use the vehicle you can claim a deduction of 40p per mile for the first 10,000 business miles and 25p per mile over 10,000 in lieu of all other expenses including fuel directly related to the vehicle you are claiming for. You can continue to claim for parking fees, congestion charges and road tolls.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
what if it is not my veichle that i am using to get to and fro work?
Expert:  Tony Tax replied 8 years ago.
Whose vehicle is it? Do you pay to use it?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

i work for a sub contractor, and i am self employed, he gives me use of his veichle fro free, but i pay the fuel... can never seem to keep reciepts!

Expert:  Tony Tax replied 8 years ago.
Since you don't own the vehicle I would say you can't claim the allowance I referred to. That allowance is meant to compensate the owner for the wear and tear from using the vehicle for work and depreciation in the value of the vehicle. You should try to keep your fuel receipts so you can claim the cost of your travel. Some of my clients put them in a shoe box when they get home at night!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok, what percentage of my fuel bill can i claim back?, last question, thank you froyour time!!
Expert:  Tony Tax replied 8 years ago.
No problem. If you only use the vehicle for work, then you should claim all the fuel costs. If you have the use of the vehicle for private travel, then you really ought to keep a log of your mileage splitting it between work travel and private travel. So, for example, if 80% of your total mileage is work related, claim 80% of the fuel bills. The tax office may ask you to justify your fuel claim so a log to record your mileage is a good idea. A diary is the best way to record this.
Tony Tax and 2 other UK Tax Specialists are ready to help you