Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Experience:  Solicitor
65242892

I just received a lengthy letter from a solicitor claiming

Customer Question

I just received a lengthy letter from a solicitor claiming unpaid agency fees for letting our our property.
Background: my property(UK) was let recently directly to a tenant. An estate agent was initially involved but they were excluded at the end due to poor service and we went ahead without them at the end. The agency's miscommunication resulted rent not being agreed. Tenant was also very unhappy with the service hence we excluded them at the end.
Terms of business was not signed at any point but they are now claiming that the fact that they sent the terms by email and the fact that we wrote on the email 'happy to proceed' meant that we accepted the terms. I have to respond to this letter by email asap and need some advice. Could you please help?
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 5 days ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I need to give you a bit more background. Estate agent was initially involved and they found a potential tenant and they proceeded to finish tenancy agreement. We acknowledged this tenancy agreement by email and we said ' yes happy to proceed' on the basis that terms that's included in the tenancy agreement was satisfactory. However, due to their miscommunication, the terms they negotiated with the tenant was not what we agreed (i.e. rent amount) so this deal ultimately fell through and we went without this agent. The agent somehow found out this tenant moved into our flat and now demanding the fee. Formal Letter of Claim gives background. We need to go back to the lawyer now with response. Can I please upload the letter of claim and also will you review our response email?
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!