ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Adjunct Lecturer at University of Technology
104128041

I have a dispute with Eon the energy company. I moved into a

I have a dispute with Eon the energy company . I moved into a rented cottage and the energy was already on. Eight months later Eon called with a bill addressed to the previous tenant. At no time did they ask me if I wanted to use their company as my energy supplier. I had cancer at the time and was not concentrating on anything and thought energy was included in the rent . I have argued with them and told them they do not have a contract. In addition there are two names on the rented cottage lease but they insist that I alone am liable . Can you tell me what you think?Thank you *****

Thank you for your enquiry. Your matter has been referred to me to see if I may be of any assistance. I am currently reviewing your concern and will respond shortly. Please note that this site is for general information and educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute legal advice, nor does it establish a solicitor-client relationship.

Kind regards

RL

Where are you located Graeme? How long have you resided at the property?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Abergavenny South Wales. I lived in the property from November 1 2017 until October 2018 . My wife continued to live there until January this year . We now live apart
during this time you did not pay for the energy supplied to the property?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No just an opinion by email . I just paid £22
I am not understanding your response to my question?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I did not as i only received a bill in the late summer of 2018 and I was recovering from having my nose removed after cancer

Thank you for the additional information.

The difficulty you may find is that the energy company may argue that you received energy from them continuously for this period without raising a dispute. If it is that you did not wish for them to provide services to you, you or your wife would have been expected to contact them within a reasonable time of having moved into the property to notify them of this fact. By continuing to accept their services without notifying them that you did not wish to do so, you may be taking to have implicitly agreed to the contract.

You mentioned being of the view that this may have been included in your lease agreement. If this is in fact the case, then your grouse would be as against the landlord, to reimburse you for any monies you have had to pay to the energy company.

You may however ask the company to exercise their discretion in not requiring you to pay all the outstanding energy charge, in light of your previous ill health. I do believe this may however be discretionary.

You may opt to raise your concerns with the Energy Ombudsman to see whether they may be able to mediate on your behalf for some or all of the bill to be wiped of in the light of your ill health. I will provide the Ombudsman's details, although you may find that you may still be required to pay.

https://www.ombudsman-services.org/sectors/energy

I am unfortunately obliged to give you accurate guidance even if it is not favourable.

I do hope I have sufficiently answered your query . I would be grateful for your rating at this stage by clicking on the row of green stars at the top of the screen. Feel free to send me your follow on questions after your rating, if you still require clarification, I will still be able to respond to you.

Best wishes.

RL

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your advice

You are welcome