UK Property Law

Get UK property law questions answered by Experts

Would a house converted into self contained studio flats…

Customer Question
Would a house converted into...
Would a house converted into self contained studio flats sharing a washing machine in the common parts consist an HMO? (more than 2 self contained flats where council requires 3 sharers to be licensed)
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: UK Property Law
4/1/2018
Solicitor: JimLawyer, Senior Associate & Consultant replied 2 months ago
JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Senior Associate & Consultant
Hello, how many storeys is the house and which local authority would be involved?
I Understand why you are asking, lets assume that the property does fall under the requirement to be licensed (3 story's or 5 sharers) , question is what is defined as shared area, if you have a conversion with say 7 stories and 7 separate flats, all residents share the entrance / common parts though this wouldnt fall under the hmo license, if however they where to share a bathroom or kitchen in the common parts it would have fallen under the licensing requirement (i believe). My question is if they where just to share a washing machine or washer dryer or vacuum cleaner or all together would that still require licensing ?
Hello, I see the issue.The government requires an HMO licence if the residents share toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities with other tenants.A washing machine and dryer are classed as kitchen facilities. As such in my view you would need an HMO licence but there is a second issue in that each local authority has differing views insofar as eligibility is concerned so it’s routine advice that you should contact your local authority (your council) to ask for sure as if they felt your property required an HMO licence and you failed to obtain one, the fines can be huge.In summary and in my view, yes, you need a licence but check with the council for guidance.Best wishes,J
34;A washing machine and dryer are classed as kitchen facilities"
Can you advise where this is quoted please
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.