UK Property Law

Get UK property law questions answered by Experts

I am about to sell a jointly owned property which has

Customer Question
I am about to...

I am about to sell a jointly owned property which has charges against it from 2 failed businesses One by my wife and one by me. How can I get a copy of those charges to make settlement offers to clear the charges before the sale? I do actually have settlement arrangements on two of them which I have been paying and I have letters stating that upon settlement of the reduced figures agreed there vwill be no further action regarding the additional amount ( ie 12k debt by Lloyds sold to Robinson Way and Ive agreed £4k to settle), but cant find any info about my wifes debts.

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Ok

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

With who?

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Somerset UK

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of. Other than we have accepted an offer Hang on a sec $5???? Are you not UK based?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: UK Property Law
3/28/2018
Solicitor: Jamie-Law, Solicitor replied 3 months ago
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Can you not ask wife about the debt?

Obviously that woulds be first port of call but paperwork has gone missing when we returned from living in the USA hence the question about how to track it down.
cant call me Cant take private calls at work

Does the charge not say who the charge belongs to?

If I cant find the paperwork then I dont know who the charge is from do i? :-) That's the sole reason for contact with you.. How do I get a copy of the charges against the home so I can contact them and negotiate a settlement prior to exchange of contracts?

You can find out who at:

https://eservices.landregistry.gov.uk/

I think it costs around £3.

Once you have that, you can contact the creditor and come to a deal.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

If not I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. If you need more help, you can ask follow up questions for free and I would be delighted to assist. Thanks!

Well that link and downloading everything, and paying for a search told me nothing. The copy of the title deeds only shows the Mortgage co and the amount paid for it. Not any charges

If there are not any charges then you don't need to worry.

The charges would be listed there. If not, then they are not binding.

It will be in the Charges section. If nothing there then it is clear.

Does that clarify?

No because I cant find a "charges section" and I know full well there are 4 x charges against the property plus the mortgage totalling about £25000

They should be there. They are not valid unless they are there.

If the property is registered, so should the charges.

That is the whole point of the Land Registry, so it lists everything

As I said there is no "charges section" and I know they exist because Ive been paying two of them off.
I am actually still on the site and there is no charges secrtion
Solicitor: JimLawyer, Senior Associate & Consultant replied 3 months ago
JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Senior Associate & Consultant
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
There is no part c It only offers part A and B