UK Property Law

Get UK property law questions answered by Experts

We are re-mortgaging with a Building Society and adding my…

Customer Question
We are re-mortgaging with a...
We are re-mortgaging with a Building Society and adding my wife to the deeds. She is perfectly happy on this and fully understands. But the Building Society says
"The Society`s Solicitors must confirm that the new party joining the title to the property has received independent legal advice from a solicitor as to the nature of the transaction"
Please advise if you can do this online?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: UK Property Law
3/13/2018
Solicitor: JimLawyer, Senior Associate & Consultant replied 3 months ago
JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Senior Associate & Consultant
Hello and thank you for the question. That is a standard phrase when anyone mortgages or remortgages a property - it’s to ensure the person entering in to the agreement fully understands the terms and conditions and the consequences of non payment. The best advice I can give you is for your wife to call a firm of solicitors who can verbally explain this to her over the telephone so that she can comply with The Society’s request. I recommend Slater & Gordon and if you call them (0161(###) ###-#### then ask to speak to their conveyancing department who should do this for free.I hope this helps.Kind regardsJ
Hi, if you could please accept my answer, many thanks
Hi
I think we will need to provide some evidence that she has taken advice?
A statement written by her that she understands the implications would be enough. I recall doing this for my own mortgage and it sufficed.As I say, most firms offer free legal advice at the initial consultation and it could be that after speaking to them, your wife can then prepare a written statement to confirm she has taken the advice and so forth
Hi again
Spoken to a couple of firms. They want a fee, to see paperwork and for my wife to go in...She works full time in a Secure Unit.
Can we do it through yourself over the phone and she can then write her response?
Let me know
Hello, if you could check with the mortgage company whether your wife needs advice orally or via a letter. If the former, that needs to be by someone who deals in mortgages. If the latter, I can draft a letter for her to sign with appropriate terms
Hi
Thanks for the speedy reply. It seems a written response would be required.
Let me know what is needed on this..

Hi again, I have drafted a suitable statement for your Wife to sign, attached.

You may amend it if you wish - the property address will have to be inserted where indicated.

Please accept the answer and if you could give me a rating, I would appreciate it.

Best wishes,

J

This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.