UK Property Law

Get UK property law questions answered by Experts

Can an executor of a will rent out the deceased person’s…

Can an executor of a...
Can an executor of a will rent out the deceased person’s property before obtaining probate
1/14/2018
Clare
Clare, Solicitor
Thank you for your question
My name is***** shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first
Can you tell me a little more about the circumstances please
My grandfather died in October last year and I’ve contested his will as my uncle has fraudulently altered it so he inherits the entire estate instead of half, there is a caveat in pace until June to halt probate. My uncle is the executor and is now renting out my Grandfather’s flat, is this allowed? My understanding is that until probate is done the property does not belong to my uncle.

Even before Probate is granted the Executor of a Will is entitled to deal with the Estate in order to maximise income - so yes they can let the property if that is the appropriate action to take.

Please ask if you need further details

Who gets the rental income if this answer is correct?
It belongs to the Estate
Clare
Clare, Solicitor