UK Property Law

Get UK property law questions answered by Experts

Second opinion please have a question- would those on help…

Second opinion please have a question-...
Second opinion please
have a question- would those on help to buy scheme and Mortgage loan be able to do Airbnb Abdullah have a lodger? My neighbor is harassing me - he does not like the idea of traffic though I have very strict silence rules. Should I be getting permissions just to be on the safe side?
Answered in 1 day by:
1/14/2018
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate

The starting point is the terms and conditions of the mortgage. Many mortgage lenders see renting on airbnb as a breach of their mortgage terms, as you’re making money from your property, not using it as your sole residence. If you breach your mortgage contract, you could face a range of penalties – from needing to pay higher interest rates to, in the worst case scenario, having the loan called in. But most lenders would work with their customers to find a solution. As such I would be minded to get consent in writing from the lender. It is absolutely nothing to do with the neighbour in any event. Please rate positive.

How about help to buy

If you are only renting a room then it would not normally be an issue. But it would not be acceptable if you were renting the property out. The intention of the Help to Buy ISA policy is to provide support to first-time buyers who are struggling to take the first step on the housing ladder. In order to receive a Government bonus the individual in question must make a declaration at the time of purchase that they intend to live in the property as their sole residence.

Can we speak
I’m just renting a room with me in it it’s not a sublet

Im not near a phone. I would certainly get the consent from the mortgage lender. I hope that this helps and please rate positive.

Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate
Ok so just get the consent of halifax but no worries w help to buy
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.