UK Property Law

Get UK property law questions answered by Experts

We have lived in our house for 44 years. It originally came…

Second opinion] We have...

Second opinion] We have lived in our house for 44 years. It originally came with my husbands job as it backs into a park but we bought it in 1990. Early in the 90's the gates to the park were not being locked due to cut backs and my husband was given a verbal agreement by his boss, the head of the Parks Dept.,to extend our garden taking some parkland as a security measure in case people came into the park over night.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

We have cared for and developed this area with a fence, shrubs and flowers for 20 years. Does this mean we have a right to add it to our deeds?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

It has never been contested.

10/12/2017
Clare
Clare, Solicitor

Thank you for your question and for asking for me

Which part of the Uk are you in?

London

Then you do indeed have the fright to make a claim for Adverse Possession

The system is set out here

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/adverse-possession-of-registered-land/practice-guide-4-adverse-possession-of-registered-land

You have some minor difficulty on the "adverse" part - but since his old boss was not actually the owner of the problem this should not be a problem

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Clare
Clare, Solicitor
Clare
Clare
Clare, Solicitor